JQL toptip: linkedIssuesOf()
Use a lot of issue links in your project? We do at AstraZeneca.
Sharing this JQL as a timesaving toptip bestpractice for anybody operating within the complexity of multi-sponsor demand environments:
issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfAll(subQuery, relationType)
Read the docs at scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/5.5.8/jira/jql-functions.html
I am hoping to find time to write a series of articles about Demand Quality and ways in which my tech teams have leveraged the following APIs to automate some of the undifferentiated heavy lifting faced by business analysts:
- Jira — our work tracking application where demand is raised as ticketed User Stories (with associated Test Cases, Spikes, etc) grouped into Epics… an Epic being something like the Swedish concept of saga (many Stories). There is a widespread tendency to copy data out of Jira thereby creating multiple sources of the truth wrt demand (business & technical), so it’s a daily priority for us to pre-empt those copies by automating new views.
- Power Automate — my preferred integration & scheduling tool given its diverse range of connectors and general versatility; I’d been a longitme fan of Zapier before I joined an established technology division with extensive MS product license, so have now made the switch.
- Power BI — our preferred visualisation tool which has its own Centre For Enablement aka Centre Of Excellence and whose reports can be updated using a Power Automate trigger. Once MS release the long-anticipated Power BI integration with Powerpoint this will mean executives’ slides will also have the option to be updated automatically, representing a humungous time-saver all all levels.
I am hoping to find time to write a series on Competitive Advantage Through Standardisation which will follow on from the above, especially in respect of:
- consolidating technologies so that teams across the enterprise are sharing a common set of application and common standard of excellence for each.
- consolidating analytical routes available to teams especially wrt copying data out from the source of truth (see Jira, above) into bespoke, brittle dashboarding arrangements (typically a non-standard MS Excel file).